Heartbeat Trail Log
Day 327
   Day 1
   Day 4
   Day 13
   Day 17
   Day 24
   Day 25
   Day 29
   Day 40
   Day 46
   Day 53
   Day 61
   Day 77
   Day 80
   Day 85
   Day 95
   Day 98
   Day 102
   Day 105
   Day 109
   Day 112-114
   Day 122
   Day 130
   Day 133
   Day 141
   Day 152
   Day 162
   Day 174
   Day 182
   Day 187
   Day 193
   Day 201
   Day 207
   Day 208
   Day 210
   Day 216
   Day 221
   Day 223
   Day 229
   Day 237
   Day 243
   Day 248
   Day 250
   Day 257-259
   Day 261
   Day 279
   Day 258 - 279
   Day 289
   Day 290
   Day 302
   Day 303
   Day 309-311
   Day 315
   Day 316
   Day 324
   Day 327
The Long Road Home
The Route
Dahl Memorial Clinic
Help Support Buckwheat!
Media Coverage

Search Web Pages




Day 261 - June 19
Monday, the 19th of June, 2006. Paddled into Eagle last night. Uneventful trip except at the old townsite of 40 Mile, 52 miles downstream from Dawson, Yukon. It was about 9:30 PM. I was in a narrow slough with a good current looking for the best place to pull of for the night. Tall trees, kind of shadowy with the last vestages of direct sunlight waning in the west. I was negotiating a turn to the right in to a slightly narrower channel when I saw two moose calves on the opposite shore looking back at me. Just when I was wondering where Momma was I turned to the right and there she was. About 10-15 feet from me...just off my right shoulder. She was steaming. Our eyes met and the next thing I know she's jumping into the slough trying to put herself between me and her kids. When something that big jumps in the water only a few feet in front of you several things happen. First you get wet. Her splash was like a cannonball dive. The front of the canoe went down, then up, filled about 20 percent full and then it hit her. I didn't know I could turn the boat around so fast in such a narrow channel but I did and started paddling UPSTREAM to get away. Ididn't know I could do that. But I did. I went upstream until I was out of her sight. She only followed a short distance and went back to her kids. I caught my breath, waited a few minutes and proceeded back down the slough. I heard them in the bush but didn't see them again. A close call. Owoooooooooooooooooh!

Hooked up with Jesse Naiman in Eagle. We stayed at the Falcon Inn. A fine hotel. Nice folks. Met with Dave and Scott at the local AP & T office. There aren't many offices in Eagle but the ever expanding AP & T empire is alive and prominent. Only the finest state of the art facility for their customers. They were a great help and Dave even floated down the river with me for half an hour later in the day.

When Jesse took me back to my boat on Monday AM I learned that a million or two little logs, big logs and in between logs formed a blockade around my boat and I couldn't budge it. But luck was with me. The Holland America catamaran, the Yukon Queen, was at the dock where I was marooned. Captain Andy and his trusty mate, Mark, were there and offered to help. (Jesse is sending pictures) Thanks to their benevolent attitude and willingness to help a fellow river man in trouble my boat was free and reloaded in less than an hour. Captain Andy and Mark are two fine men and I shant ever forget there assistant. AND, the really cool thing is this. They helped because they're those kind of people...just good folk. It wasn't until after we got the boat out that I told them Holland was one of my sponsors. So, if you see Dave Beedle with transportation in Holland America, tell him he hired some good people in Dawson and Eagle. Owooooooooooooooooooooh!

On to Circle where I get to hook up with Jesse and Nicky. Good grub coming up. Until next time. TA TA

 Printable Version